Pelican flying

Pelican flying

Pelican on driftwood


My digital camera isn't really designed for photographing birds in flight (or anything that is moving) but this one was pretty low and right in front of me--- a pelican flying from the very large piece of driftwood he was sitting on to a fish he apparently spotted. He actually missed the fish, but did catch another minutes later. 
I included a shot of him on the driftwood as well. 

This pelican has been fishing on the lake recently so of course I began reading about pelicans and learned they can live to be 40 years and need as much as four pounds of fish a day to maintain.

I also discovered a heartbreaking recent article about what has been happening to them in the Keys. Apparently, some horribly abusive people have been slicing their pouches open, so that they will starve to death, and beating them with fishing poles. What the hell is wrong with people?