The green orchid bee

Green orchid bee


Green orchid bee


Green orchid bee

 
For years, I've been seeing shiny green bees that hover like a hummingbird and quickly dart from one flower to another.  I've always hoped that one day I would be able to observe one up close -- when its wings weren't in constant motion. Today I spotted one who, much like me, was chilling out in a quiet and out-of-the-way spot at Flamingo Gardens in Davie.

These are a few of the photos I took of the green orchid bee (Euglossa dilemma). While the bee did fly from one place to another during my visit, it seemed to be having a lazy afternoon and was still hanging out when I left.

I have since spent a little more time reading about this bee, its relationship to orchids and some of its characteristics including tongues "roughly two thirds as long as their bodies."

Here is a link to some interesting facts about them, along with an explanation of how they likely arrived here in South Florida.